Come to the next TCD contra dance in NC's Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro) area!
Dances start at 8:00 PM with a lesson at 7:30 PM, unless otherwise noted.
Date: Monday June 25
Location: Carrboro Century Center
Description: Rushfest! Contra dancing to pop music! DJ/Caller Emily Rush will lead contra dances to recorded music -- pop hits for every generation, from Frank Sinatra to Lady Gaga. Lesson at 7 pm, dancing 7:30-10:30 pm! $8 general admission.
Here's a Look at Contra Dancing in the Triangle!
Check out this video of the TCD New Year's Eve dance. We like to say that if you can walk you can contra dance. There's a free lesson at 7:30 pm, and each dance is taught. Thanks to Dave Pokorney for this terrific video!
- Live music
- No partner necessary
- Beginners welcome
- All dances taught
- Free lesson at 7:30 pm
- Dance 8-11 pm
- Great exercise
- And a national magazine just said contra dancing was No. 1 on its list of awesome to do on a date (without alcohol)! Click here to see the article.
What is contra dance?
Read more about contra dancing.
When and where can you contra dance?
The regular TCD contra dances are held:
- Second Fridays at Carrboro Century Center [link to map]
- Fourth and fifth Fridays at Reality Center in Durham [link to map]
Check the TCD schedule for more details.
TCD also sponsors community dances some Saturdays at Binkley Baptist Church in Chapel Hill. To find out more, check the community dance schedule.
Other regular contra dances in the Triangle include:
- First Saturdays at Carrboro Century Center -- Sponsored by Footloose/Contrazz
- Third Fridays at Carrboro Century Center -- Sponsored by Carolina Song and Dance Association
Contra dances are also scheduled at various times by these groups:
- Rushfest! -- Contra dances to recorded pop music at Carrboro Century Center
- Contra Dances with Wolves -- The student contra dance group at North Carolina State University
- UNC-CH Contra Dance Club -- Monthly contra dances at the UNC-Chapel Hill campus
Or to stay on top the entire Triangle contra dance scene, go to our Google calendar.
We would like your feedback!
Please tell us more about what you liked or didn't like at any TCD contra dances. Your experiences will help us make our dances a better experience for everyone! To send us your opinion (anonymously if you wish) just click here.
TCD is committed to providing a welcoming, fun and safe place for all people. We urge everyone taking part to treat each other with the greatest respect and attention to everyone's comfort and enjoyment. If, however, you have had an experience TCD needs to know about, please click here.
Become a member!
You can become a Triangle Country Dancers member and save on dance admission. Members save $2 on each dance! Another benefit of membership is our newsletter "The Hey!" which is published 6 times a year. Read more about membership.
Carrboro Commons Documentary Video of TCD: link
NPR's All Things Considered: Youth Flock To Contra Dancing : link
To see a PBS report on contra dancing in Maine, click here.
Whoopin' It Up! Students at the Center for Documentary Studies interview Linda Cooper about contra dance:
Carrboro Century Center videos.
Reality Center videos.
Pleasant Green videos.
CulBlu's contra dance videos created by Dequan Powell